- - Recommendations for the Pre-Veterinary Experience
- - Veterinary science making waves
Did you know...
- - Ruminants have an even number of toes on each foot and a stomach with either three or four chambers. It includes goats, sheep, cows, camels, and antelope.
- - Camelids (llamas and alpacas) are called "pseudo-ruminants" because they have a three-compartment stomach instead of four like ruminants. Horses are not ruminants. They have an enlarged cecum that allows them to digest fibrous materials. Animals of this type are called "hind-gut fermenters." A rabbit has a similiar digestive system
- - Cows have almost total 360 degree panoramic vision and are able to see colors, except red. They can detect odors up to 5 miles away. Cows can hear lower and higher frequencies better than humans. Per day, a cows spends 6 hours eating and 8 hours chewing cud. A cow doesn't bite the grass, but she curls her tongue around it. A cow has no upper front teeth.
- - Sheep usually give birth once a year and have 1-3 lambs. They normally live to be about 8 years old, but can sometimes live to be as old as 20. Pregnancy lasts for 147 days.
- - The cattle site